The Purpose of the role
The Head of Consultancy will lead the delivery of our products and services to ensure the highest possible delivery standard. They will provide line management to the team of field-based consultants, and the service desk, making sure customers have a positive experience.
This includes responsibility for the team’s recruitment, retention, training, remuneration, setting and measuring of appropriate objectives for both the performance of their role and the development of their skills, whilst ensuring their customers are fully supported and able to make the most of the tools and services purchased.
The Head of Consultancy will direct and oversee the field-based consultants to make sure daily operations align with the vision of the company, and that they deliver excellent customer service, and will step in when a customer is unhappy with the outcome of an interaction with an employee or experience with a product.
The Head of Consultancy will regularly communicate the goals and strategic direction of the company to the field-based consultants, service desk and the wider customer base, while optimising and improving the bottom line of the company, through the retention of existing customers and the upselling of new product lines.
Through building of deep customer relationships at all levels, including senior executives, the Head of Consultancy will ensure Dr Foster continues to meet our customers’ needs. They will provide business intelligence to inform strategic thinking by providing customer and market place feedback. In addition, the Head of Consultancy will work with marketing to develop to build Dr Fosters profile through customer engagement activities such as the Luminary Awards, workshops and thought leadership.
The role will also be required to lead on the maintenance and development requirements of the core products, such as Healthcare Intelligence Portal, to ensure they remain fit for purpose. This will primarily be driven by participation in both the Innovation and Delivery Boards and also by close working with the technical teams.
The Head of Consultancy will produce regular reports determining areas for improvement, detailing plans and actions for implementing change and new processes for the better of the delivery of core tools.
Team Management: Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments and removing roadblocks to their work; leverage organisational resources to improve capacity; mentor and develop team members
Team building: Promote empowerment of the team; ensure that each team member is fully engaged and making a meaningful contribution; encourage a sustainable pace with high-levels of quality for the team.
Leadership: The role holder will have demonstrable evidence and experience of providing leadership to and managing a number of field and support desk direct reports.
This role requires flexibility and the willingness to take a “hands on” approach Possessing strong leadership and relationship management skills. Overall, the role holder maintains the company’s existing relationships with a portfolio of clients, so that they will continue using the company for business.
• Create standard delivery processes across the team for our current offerings.
• Ensure value via the consultancy team is delivered in order to maintain renewal rates
• Actively look to uplift client spend via consultancy services by highlighting and developing opportunities with the sales team.
• Bid management: assist the commercial director and business development managers with the proposal and bid stages of all custom projects
• Manage a team of field-based consultants working across regions in England and support desk direct reports.
• Responsibility for the team’s recruitment, retention, remuneration and will work with members of their team to ensure the setting and measuring of appropriate objectives for both the performance of their role and the development of their skills.
• Ensure smooth and effective teamwork between the teams to maximise sales and revenue for complex opportunities.
• Ensure excellence of current core delivery
• Ensure utilisation rates are high
• Work with the team to expand Dr Foster’s presence in key accounts by networking with research users and executives.
• Manage the consulting team to implement the group and country growth strategy. From time to time, this will require the individual to lead special projects to address specific operational issues.
• Work with Director of analytics and strategy to assist the delivery of analytics
• Work with product managers to ensure excellent delivery of their products
• Work with the Commercial Director to ensure strong renewal rates and farming of client base
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
• Educated to degree level
• Minimum of 5 years’ managerial experience in a commercial environment
• Demonstrable experience in leading significant & varied projects and ongoing client engagement / development.
• Ability to work with many stakeholders
• Experience of managing consultancy teams
• Excellent and proven client management skills
• Experience in running multiple consulting projects at any given time
• Client facing experience
• Expertise in developing long-term relationships with clients, connecting with key business executives and stakeholders at all levels including C-suite
• Extensive leadership experience of managing nine or more direct reports
• Working expertise of adoption and leveraging CRM systems in account management
• Demonstrable evidence of achieving revenue and growth objectives consistently over a number of years
• Understanding of NHS data and the NHS digital roadmap
• Understanding the NHS provider/purchaser differing informatics needs
• Experience of managing an operational support desk team
• Experience of working in, or with, the health care sector
• Experience of stakeholder management at board level
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Commercially astute and good negotiation skills.
• Experience of managing partner relationships for mutual benefit.
• Comfortable working with data.
• Strong Leadership, professional attitude – and leading by example.
• Bright, highly self-motivated and driven.
• Ability to solve problems quickly and completely.
• Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment.
• Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail.
• Innovative and creative, with a concise, precise and effective approach to problem solving and the ability to develop, deliver and evaluate brilliant ideas founded on rock-solid strategic thinking.
• Credible, confident and articulate, with excellent communication and presentation skills and the gravitas to deliver ideas clearly and concisely to internal and external stakeholders at all levels of seniority.
• Reliable, flexible and cooperative.
• Diplomatic and tactful.
• Personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for excellence.
• A team player – able to work cross-organisationally to overcome obstacles and get things done
Instinctively embraces our company values:
• Working Better Together
• Showing You Care
• Making the Complex Simple
• Trusting Each Other to Deliver
• Finding Your Courage
Key Stakeholder Relationships
• Managing Director
• Director of Consultancy & Analytics
• Commercial Director
• Technical Development Team
• Product Development
• Dr Foster Unit at Imperial College
• NHS customers at all levels across primary and secondary care
• Non-trust NHS organisations and other organisations in the healthcare sector.
• Other customers, as specified.
Other Points to Note
Travel is an essential part of the role, to attend customer and partner meetings across England as required. The role will include attendance at key national and regional events.
All staff must be aware of and comply with the requirements of the information security, assurance and governance policies, procedures and standards.