The Data team is responsible for the Integrity, availability and confidentiality of the organisations data assets and the platforms that host them. As an integral part of the team the data platform engineer plays a key role in providing that service.
The data platform engineer is deeply involved in the day to day management of the data platform as well as building & supporting processes that ensure maximum availability and long term stability of all database systems.
Comfortable writing SQL and utilising scripting languages the DPE applies sound engineering principles to create robust repeatable processes.
Passionate about continuous improvement the data platform engineer has the freedom to experiment, and is expected to propose process improvements and enhancements to data platforms.
Comfortable working with business intelligence workloads and an advocate of DevOps, the data platform engineer is heavily involved in building and maintaining a framework to support data processing and storage requirements from development to production
Expected to adhere to and participate in the evolution of documented standards and processes the DPE works closely with other colleagues to provision services that surpass expectations.
- Creating and maintaining appropriate levels of design and process documentation.
- Management and Administration of business critical data platforms.
- Responsible for the consistency & Integrity of the data which underpins all products and offerings.
- Backup, Recovery & High Availability planning & implementation.
- Data Platform monitoring and reporting.
- Creation and automation of maintenance routines and administrative tasks using TSQL and scripting languages (e.g PowerShell).
- Permissions Management and Information Security design in adherence with ISO27001 standards.
- Defining non-functional requirements and data management strategy for new developments & enhancements.
- Maintaining change management & configuration management frameworks.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications.
- Technology based degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong experience in Automation and scripting (PowerShell, Chef, Puppet SaltStack etc.).
- Significant experience working with RDBMS (Ideally SQL Server).
- Experience Administrating NoSQL and Big data technologies.
- Well rounded knowledge of SQL Server internals and the database engine.
- Experience working in project teams from inception and requirements gathering through to delivery.
- Experience working with business intelligence workloads and a good grounding in the fundamentals of data warehousing.
- Comfortable writing TSQL and querying complex datasets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Proven Ability to take responsibility for solving a problem and delivering solutions.
- Impeccable customer service.
- Naturally curious and eager to learn.
- Willing to take responsibility for solving a problem.
- Passionate about continuously improving processes and systems.
- Enthusiastic about learning and supporting different database technologies.
- Comfortable sharing ideas and suggesting improvements.
- Happy to embrace agile working practices.
- Logical thinker with tenacious attitude towards problem solving.
Key Stakeholder Relationships
The Operations Engineer is expected to build and maintain relationships with consumers and suppliers of data at all levels.
Other Points to Note
Occasional travel to London/Nottingham office